Sunday, May 12, 2013

Week 1: Reflection

After a very eventful first week I thought I would reflect back on my experiences.  The city of Taipei has a lot to offer and I am beginning to dip my toes into its waters.  First of all, the food is very good.  There are a lot of places to get very good food for very cheap, and all of it is delicious.  Yesterday we went to Din Tai Fung, a legendary dumpling place, for Mother's Day.  I would say it lived up to its reputation, as the food and atmosphere were very good.  They had a clear glass window where you can see the chefs in action, working hard at rolling, pressing and creating the dumplings at a breakneck speed and almost non-stop.

At work, things have been progressing normally.  I learned that George, one of my co-workers that has been teaching me a lot, is leaving the company to work for Firefox.  He will be gone in 2 weeks.

In addition to eating at Din Tai Fung for Mother's Day, we visited Taipei 101, currently the world's second tallest building.  The elevator to the top is also one of the fastest, and we traversed over 80 stories in mere seconds.  The view from the top is spectacular although it was rainy and cloudy most of the day so you couldn't see as far as you normally could.  The entrance to the outdoor viewing area was also closed.

This past Friday I visited a local night market with George and Leonard.  The one they took me to was one of the less touristy ones and therefore offered more local flavor.  I was able to soak in the sights, sounds and smells and experience some of their culture and how they live.  It was very much like a street carnival come to life.

So far I am enjoying the city life.  My parents are leaving tomorrow so it will be sad to not be able to explore more of Taiwan with them.  However my father will be back in a few weeks on business so I will be able to see him.  Today I may rent a bike or spend some time in the park and draw or read.  It is almost time to go to work so I will update this again when I get the chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment