Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 3

Today was a mostly uneventful day.  I went to lunch with some of my co-workers- Renaud, Jeff and Greg.  I learned a little bit about my co-workers and where they are from.  Renaud is from Switzerland and grew up around snow his whole life.  He was even a part-time snowboarding instructor when he lived there.  Jeff is originally from Illinois and I learned the surprising fact that 20% of the town's population (where he is from) is employed by State Farm!  Greg is originally from Taiwan but he has also lived in Seattle and San Francisco.  We chatted a little bit about the constant rain in Seattle and how the locals don't even carry umbrellas, and instead pull hoodies over their heads and walk in the rain.  In addition to my co-workers, Jeff's friend Mike joined us.  We went to a place that offered a lot of food for very cheap.  It only cost about 180 TWD for an entire plate of food.  I had fried pork that was very good.

After lunch, Jeff and Mike took me to have my very first "bubble tea" as it is called.  It is chilled iced tea with little black balls that are very chewy.  You can chew the "bubbles" for a very long time.  Apparently they are made of tapioca.  You can also get varying levels of sugar in them.  I decided to get 30% sugar and Jeff did the same.  I didn't want to be on a sugar high and have an upset stomach later.

At work, George said that a popular destination was the various night markets around town and a good place to visit.  We decided that we would go on Friday after work.  I am looking forward to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment